Getting the Best People on the Bus
When interviewing candidates, how are you assessing their behavioral (cultural) fit for your company?
Jim Collins calls this getting the right people on the bus.
Discovering Poor Performance After the Hire
Hiring managers often over-index on technical skills & knowledge, then later are frustrated when they're spending their valuable time managing poor behavioral performance!
Ask thoughtful Who What How Where When questions & you're likely to get more honest answers while discovering the candidate's actual behavior tendencies.
[In our Wingspan Performance System, these are called Advancing Questions.]
- When have you held a peer accountable and how did you go about that?
- In the last six months, how have you shared feedback with your manager?
- What do your peers count on most from you?
Listen for Mindset & Behaviors
Listen closely to the language they use in sharing their examples--it shows their mindset & behavior.
- When do they sound like they're coming from a victim mindset?
- Which candidates equate "confrontation" with Accountability?
- How many times do they not have a solid answer?
Big Time Payoff
Investing time to prepare your Advancing Questions & listening closely to the answers will payoff big time so that you hire the best qualified talent & individuals who will contribute to building a healthy hire performing team!
4 views0 comments